Thursday, April 21, 2016

Episode 249: Want Vs Need



Episode 249: Want Vs Need
Pat and April play their favorite songs with the words "want" or "need" in the title. There will be many tangents and I guarantee "Want V Need" will be more entertaining than "Batman V Superman."
From April 21, 2016

With your hosts:

Pat Francis

April Richardson


00:00:00 Pat, April, and Kyle welcome us to the show. Kyle is sleepy today. Busy day for the tuckered-out youngster. What's April been up to? "How am I supposed to answer this? What's the date this is airing?" Immediately into Trump talk. April isn't a fan of the Donald and his family. We're recording once again at Francis Manor and the topic is Want vs. Need: Songs with the words "want" or "need" in the titles. Simple as that. Batman v. Superman discussion. April will see it opening night, but she doesn't give really a care about the thing. Batfleck does nothing for her. Pat and Kyle are also keeping their expectations low.
"Did I tell you I saw Kanye West at the gym?"
- Pat

"No! ... You go to the gym?!"
- April with the line of the episode (and we're not even five minutes in)
00:05:00 Pat was surprised to see Kanye at a public gym. No fanfare, no TMZ photographers. "Maybe he's on the trial membership," suggests Kyle. Oh, what a lark these opening minutes are. April kicks off the music with this song by Elvis Presley. It's "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" off the compilation album Elvis' Golden Records. Pat and April ponder the recording time of these 50s songs.
Rock in Peace to Michael Hutchence of INXS. He plays "What You Need" off of Listen Like Thieves.
00:10:00 Pat gets upset when he hears INXS because of what could have been if Hutchence hadn't bit the dust. Luckily April cheers us up with "I Want Your Sex" by George Michael off of the album Faith.
"I'm gonna go so far down the puss meter now," says Pat. Off the album Endless Flight, it's "When I Need You" by Leo Sayer. Memories of Pat slow dancing in high school flood his mind; his slender Pennsylvania frame pressed against his girl. April has no such memories. No guy would slow dance with her. "I was gross," she says. "My teeth were jaaaaacked."
00:15:00 April's next pick is a band called Idlewild. Off the album The Remote Part, it's "I Never Wanted".
Pat plays a track from recent Duran Duran. The song is "All You Need Is Now" off the album All You Need Is Now.
April goes new wave for new wave with "Girl U Want" by Devo off the album Freedom of Choice.
Next up, Pat plays a song from a solo Lindsey Buckingham album. The song is called "I Want You" from an album called Go Insane. It's, um.... interesting. "That could be a Sparks song," April realizes.
00:20:00 April injects some soul into the proceedings with "We Need a Resolution" by Aaliyah off her self-titled album. Rock in Peace, Aaliyah. It's been FIFTEEN YEARS since she died.
The next choice for Pat is a ten out of ten, "I Need to Know" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers off the album You're Gonna Get It!.
April is so confused, trying to guess what is on or off Pat's list. She finds one that she alone brought. Off of Sports, it's "I Want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis and the News. Huey doesn't strike Kyle as the kind of guy who does drugs. April's friend did smoke weed with him once. He looks like a narc, agree Pat and Kyle. "He's cool as shit," April defends. "He's got B.D.C. - Big Dick Confidence - He doesn't need to narc on anybody."
00:25:00 Power ballad city, and it's a COVER of "I Want to Know What Love Is". It's Stacee Jaxx..... a.k.a. Tom Cruise (!) and Malin Akerman from the soundtrack to Rock of Ages. April's friend Chris Hardwick originated the role of Stacee Jaxx. He's got a great singing voice. April wants him to put out a straight-up music album, but Chris doesn't want to do it because he thinks he'll be made fun of as the "comedian trying to be serious musician" guy.
April plays an obvious one, "Don't You Want Me" by Human League off the album Dare.
00:30:00 Up next for Pat is Utopia. He plays "I Just Want to Touch You" off the album Deface the Music.
It was only a matter of time before April busted out Morrissey. "Is this the song 'I Want Meat?'" Oh Pat. Morrissey, like April, does not consume meat. Don't get her wrong, though, she still eats like garbage. Candy and sugar and such. This leads to a whole bunch of delicious candy talk like Reese's Cups and Take Fives.
00:35:00 Anyway, April plays "All You Need Is Me" off of Morrissey's Greatest Hits.
Pat plays "I Want to Break Free" by Queen off of The Works. "How many people were at Live Aid?" Pat asks. "80 million? And he made all 80 million people clap in unison." April chuckles at Pat's exaggeration. It always makes her laugh. Back to candy talk: How many full-size Reese's Peanut Butter Cups can April eat in one sitting? "Oh, I will house a four-pack," answers April. Pat answers more questions about bites. Kyle's small mouth can only allow him to take smaller bites, the poor lad. Preferred ratios of candy bar sizes, THIS EPISODE IS GOING SCIENTIFIC!!
00:40:00 In the vein of her Human League pick, April goes with "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" by Culture Club off the album Kissing to Be Clever.
Pat breaks out some Steve Perry solo, and it's a very young Perry with the song that got him into Journey. The song is "If You Need Me, Call Me" off the compilation album Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased. Some TV talk. April is afraid of the show Bloodline on Netflix. "It's not scary," says Pat. "What are you scared of?" "Kyle Chandler's acting... or lack thereof," says Kyle. April is afraid of a lot of things, especially fake things like ghosts. REMEMBER PEOPLE: APRIL'S BIGGEST FEAR IS CIVIL WAR GHOSTS!!
00:45:00 Pat and Kyle warn that if April is afraid of Civil War ghosts, she should not watch Funky Phantom. He's a ghost who is afraid of ghosts. "I like him, he sounds very reasonable!" she says. April busts those antebellum ghosts with her next pick, "I Want It That Way" by Backstreet Boys off the album Millennium. April loooooves her Backstreet Boys.
"I do like this song."
- Pat

"Because it's a great song. There's zero sarcasm in that."
- April

"I don't like that Nick Carter, though."
- Pat

"HE'S MY FAVORITE!!!! NICK CARTER IS TOTALLY MY FAVORITE!!!"
- April

April sings along to her five hunky heroes. Meanwhile Kyle found Funky Phantom:
April has never heard of Funky Phantom. "He's the worst," says Pat.
Pat highlights former guest of the show Ricky Warwick. Off the album Love Many, Trust Few, the song is called "Anybody Wanna Waste Some Time?".
00:50:00 Always putting the hip in hip hop, April plays "So What'cha Want" by Beastie Boys off the album Check Your Head. BREAKING TEXT NEWS: Dana Gould has texted April that Mike Mills is at the Improv, which is right near April's home. But April isn't there, she's at Pat's house. Gee, thanks Pat. April and Mike actually know each other. "Don't get into an accident while going over there," warns Pat. "If it was Michael Stipe, I would get into an accident," corrects April.
00:55:00 After April gushes over Mr. Stipe, Pat plays The Knack with "I Want Ya" off the album ...But the Little Girls Understand. Pat just got a text from Dana Gould: Rock in Peace Mike Mills. "DON'T YOU SAY THAT!!!!" screams April.
April's next pick is "I Don't Want to Get Over You" by The Magnetic Fields from the album 69 Love Songs. April had to warm up to that.
01:00:00 Pat's last pick of the day is The Kinks. Off of The Ultimate Collection, the song is "I Need You".
This was a super quick, super fun show. April takes us out with "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" by The Smiths off of Hatful of Hollow.
Time Song Album Artist Who
00:05:00 I Want You, I Need You, I Love You Elvis’ Golden Records Elvis Presley April
00:05:00 What You Need Listen Like Thieves INXS Pat
00:10:00 I Want Your Sex Faith George Michael April
00:10:00 When I Need You Endless Flight Leo Sayer Pat
00:15:00 I Never Wanted The Remote Part Idlewild April
00:15:00 All You Need Is Now All You Need Is Now Duran Duran Pat
00:15:00 Girl U Want Freedom of Choice Devo April
00:15:00 I Want You Go Insane Lindsey Buckingham Pat
00:20:00 We Need a Resolution Aaliyah Aaliyah April
00:20:00 I Need to Know You’re Gonna Get It! Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Pat
00:20:00 I Want a New Drug Sports Huey Lewis and the News April
00:25:00 I Want to Know What Love Is Rock of Ages Soundtrack Tom Cruise and Malin Akerman Pat
00:25:00 Don’t You Want Me Dare Human League April
00:30:00 I Just Want to Touch You Deface the Music Utopia Pat
00:35:00 All You Need Is Me Greatest Hits Morrissey April
00:35:00 I Want to Break Free The Works Queen Pat
00:40:00 Do You Really Want to Hurt Me Kissing to Be Clever Culture Club April
00:40:00 If You Need Me, Call Me Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased Steve Perry Pat
00:45:00 I Want It That Way Millennium Backstreet Boys April
00:45:00 Anybody Wanna Waste Some Time? Love Many Trust Few Ricky Warwick Pat
00:50:00 So What’cha Want Check Your Head Beastie Boys April
00:55:00 I Want Ya …But the Little Girls Understand The Knack Pat
00:55:00 I Don’t Want to Get Over You 69 Love Songs The Magnetic Fields April
01:00:00 I Need You The Ultimate Collection The Kinks Pat
01:00:00 Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want Hatful of Hollow The Smiths April

No comments:

Post a Comment